We rode into the Elk Meadows area today to look for surface hoar and check on surface conditions before the next storm. In general, the surface melt-freeze crusts had everything locked up.
• We found buried surface hoar on a west aspect near Rocky Point at 6,800 feet and near Skookum Lake on a north aspect at 7,000 feet. However, it is not propagating in extended column tests.
• We found fresh surface hoar developing on protected north aspects near Skookum Lake.
• Air temperatures were in the mid 30's °F throughout the day. Snow surfaces were moist by noon.
• Winds were light out of the southwest, with occasional moderate gusts.
• It's thin and icy coverage below 5000 feet. The road had turned to a sheet of ice in many spots at lower elevations.