We noticed a lot of blowing snow on the drive to Seeley Lake. However, we were surprised to find a stable snowpack and calm conditions in the Lake Elsina and Dinah zone. We rode in treed and open terrain from 4,000 to 7,000 feet.
• Temperatures were frigid. We measured -5°F at 6,900 feet at noon.
• 4 to 8 inches of cohesionless fresh snow from last night sit over the slightly denser snow from last week, which has bonded well to the underlying crusts.
• Small natural sluffs were observed on very steep northern slopes.
• The west aspects of exposed ridgelines are scoured and thin from previous winds.
• The previous westerly wind has left old hard small drifts even in treed areas in some spots.
• No cracking or other signs of instability.
Broken skies and fridged temps. Small very light snowfall S-1 would occasionally move overhead. Calm to light easterly winds throughout the day. We notice significantly more wind on the drive back to Missoula.Close