These are challenging times, and as a community-powered organization, we depend on you to make avalanche forecasts and educational programs possible. This year, more than ever, avalanche forecasting and education funding are uncertain. We expect reduced funding this year to impact us next season, and we are counting on contributions from people like you to continue providing the level of service our community relies on.
Missoula Avalanche is committed to making every one of your days in the mountains the best possible. As a public safety organization, we remain dedicated to equipping you with the information needed for venturing into the backcountry and returning home safely. Today and tomorrow, you can help us, help you, and make a direct impact on avalanche safety through Missoula Gives.
If you have the ability to make a donation, your contribution will help us ensure that avalanche forecasts and education programs continue throughout west-central Montana. Together we can make a collective impact on avalanche safety and continue creating the most fun, safe, and responsible backcountry community possible.
How to donate:
- Donate through Missoula Gives online here
- Via Missoulaavalanche.org
- Mail a check to West Central Montana Avalanche Foundation, PO Box 72, Missoula, Montana, 59806
What your donation covers:
- $650: The West Central Montana Avalanche Center (WCMAC) published 60 avalanche forecasts during the 2019-2020 season. To produce one avalanche forecast requires three avalanche forecasters, an 8-10 hour field day, several hours to review public field observations, analysis of current and future weather models, discussion with the National Weather Service staff, and thoughtful considerations of how all these factors impact the avalanche danger for the day. A $500 donation covers the cost of 1 forecast.
- $150: Missoula Avalanche delivers over 40 free Know Before You Go (KBYG) avalanche awareness presentations each year to over 1,300 people. A $150 donation helps us sustain the KBYG program by covering the cost of 1 avalanche awareness presentation.
- $100: Videos on changing conditions are one of the most valuable awareness products the WCMAC produces. These informational videos help to alert the public to changing snow and avalanche conditions. For the 2019-2020 season, the WCMAC posted 38 videos receiving over 30,000 views. A $100 donation covers the cost for the WCMAC to produce one of these videos.
- $50: The WCMAC depends on the daily observations submitted by the public. For the 2019-2020 season, there were 131 observations submitted, which were viewed on Missoulaavalanche.org over 17,000 times. A $50 donation covers the cost of reviewing and publishing 1 public observation.
- $25: All donations make a difference. A $25 gift is a great way to show your ongoing support.
Recurring monthly donations are an incredible way to show your support. Navigate to this page and select “make this a monthly donation” before entering your donation information.
The West Central Montana Avalanche Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. We never share your contact information. Secure online payment processing provided by Paypal. Please email us with any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your consideration and for being part of the Missoula Avalanche team.