3 days/24 hours of instruction (classroom + field)
Dates | Location:
2.22.19 Classroom & Field Component | Missoula Classroom & Wisherd Backcountry
Motorized Avalanche Level 1
The motorized level 1 course is designed specifically for snowmobilers and motorized snow bikers. This course focuses on developing a solid foundation in avalanche knowledge and how it applies it to mountain riding. With an emphasis on riding time motorized instructors cover systematic approaches for sorting and prioritizing information in the complex environment of decision-making in the backcountry. Forty percent of the course is classroom based and the other sixty percent is field based. Participants will travel in the backcountry, in and around mountainous avalanche terrain. Snowmobiles and snow bikes will be used in class to access terrain. Participants should be prepared to ride off trail in powder and varied snow conditions.
This course focuses on the following:
- Basic avalanche terminology
- Recognizing avalanche terrain
- Travel procedures in avalanche terrain
- Formation of the mountain snowpack
- How weather changes the snowpack
- Human factors and how they can influence decision-making
- Interpreting the avalanche forecast and advisory
- Tour planning
- Avalanche transceiver use and rescue skills
- Field observations of terrain, snowpack, and weather
- Use and interpretation of stability tests
- Implementing systems for prioritizing information, working as a team, and minimizing possible human factor traps
- Classroom decision-making scenarios to practice use of the checklist
- Next steps
- Snow Sense, Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler
- Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, Bruce Tremper
- Avalanche Essentials, Bruce Tremper
Participants must have:
- snowmobile or snow bike (reliable and appropriate for mountain riding)
- avalanche rescue gear (beacon, shovel, probe)
- backpack (airbag pack optional)
- DOT approved helmet
- the ability to ride off trail in varied terrain and deep snow
Call 406-243-5172 or visit the UM Outdoor Program (East end of the UM Fitness Center). You can also follow the directions below to register online.
Please read the instructions below to get started with the online registration process:
- Go to the Online Registration Portal
- Click on the “Programs” icon
- Under “Semester,” select “Spring 2019”
- Choose your avalanche course by clicking the “Sign In” button next to the course you want.
- Click “Sign Up” to log in and register.
Still have questions? Please feel free to call 406-243-5172 0r to contact us by email.