Two evening classroom sessions followed by two days and two nights in the field.
Date | Location:
1.10.19 – 1.11.19 Classroom Component | Missoula, MT (location TBA)
1.12.19 – 1.13.19 Field Component | Yurtski
1.14.19 Morning debriefing session | Yurtski departure (participants return home)
Avalanche Level 1
The avalanche level 1 course is designed for current and aspiring backcountry travelers. This course focuses on developing a solid foundation in avalanche knowledge and backcountry travel skills. Following the American Avalanche Association (A3) curriculum instructors cover systematic approaches for sorting and prioritizing information in the complex environment of decision-making in the backcountry. Forty percent of the course is classroom based and the other sixty percent is field based. Participants will travel in the backcountry, in and around avalanche terrain.
This course focuses on the following:
- Basic avalanche terminology
- Recognizing avalanche terrain
- Travel procedures in avalanche terrain
- Formation of the mountain snowpack
- How weather changes the snowpack
- Human factors and how they can influence decision-making
- Interpreting the avalanche forecast and advisory
- Tour planning
- Avalanche transceiver use and rescue skills
- Field observations of terrain, snowpack, and weather
- Use and interpretation of stability tests
- Implementing systems for prioritizing information, working as a team, and minimizing possible human factor traps
- Classroom decision-making scenarios to practice use of the checklist
- Next steps
- Snow Sense, Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler
- Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, Bruce Tremper
- Avalanche Essentials, Bruce Tremper
What is included:
- Two nights Yurtski lodging
- Meals provided when at the Yurt (breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
- Gear haul: Carry only a daypack on your back on your way in!
- Professional instruction
- Course workbooks
- Classroom and field instruction
What is not included:
- Transportation to and from the trailhead or ski area
- Personal gear
- Avalanche rescue gear
Still have questions? Please feel free to contact us.
Sorry, this course is full. We look forward to offering this course again in the future. In the meantime, check out our remaining avalanche level 1 course options. Thanks!