This is the field day component for the Introduction to Avalanches course. This is designed to build upon topics and skills outlined within previous classroom sessions. The cost for the field day is $20
The field day will take place off the back of Snowbowl. We will practice using transceivers and identifying layers in the snowpack. We will also include a discussion of terrain, decision making, and snowpit tests and how to interpret test results.
All participants MUST be able to descend from the top of Snowbowl ski area on skis or snowboard.
Details and itinerary:
- Meet instructors at Montana Snowbowl base area at 8 AM (in front of bar steps)
- Dress warmer than you would for a normal day of skiing/snowboarding as we will be spending time practicing rescue skills and analyzing the snowpack.
- Bring food/snacks for a day in the field
- You will need to arrive with equipment that allows for efficient snow travel.
- A beacon, shovel, and probe are not required materials. If you recently purchased these items, this is a great opportunity to bring them with you to practice and become better acquainted with your equipment.
- Field component concludes approximately 2 PM