Know the snow and prepare for the unexpected. The AIARE Level 1 course is a 3 day/24 hour introduction to avalanche hazard management.
Students can expect to develop a good grounding in how to prepare for and carry out a trip, to understand basic decision making while in the field, and to learn rescue techniques required to find and dig up a buried person (if an avalanche occurs and someone in the party is caught).
A final debrief includes a knowledge quiz to test student comprehension and to give feedback to instructors on instructional tools. Students are encouraged and counseled on how to apply the skills learned and told that no course can fully guarantee safety, either during or after course completion. A link is made to a future AIARE 2 course.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
At the end of the AIARE Level 1 the student should be able to:
- Plan and prepare for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Recognize avalanche terrain.
- Describe a basic framework for making decisions in avalanche terrain.
- Learn and apply effective companion rescue.Pre-Requisites: Able to travel in avalanche terrain; Required equipment for all avalanche courses:
- Equipment List
- go to http://www.soleexperiences.org/ for more information
- # Pricing includes certified AIARE Field Instructors, AIARE Field Notebook, AIARE Student Manual, one-way lift tickets for resort-based courses / transportation to course areas, and other benefits. Additional discounts / incentives given for private groups 6 and above (except backcountry-based courses). Lodging discounts available for these courses through our partner businesses.