Dates: Friday, February 23, 2018 – Sunday, February 25, 2018
- 2/23 – Classroom and Field Component
- 2/24 & 2/25 – Field Days
- Part I: (2/23) Morning Classroom Component – Missoula, MT / Afternoon Field Component: Wisherd Complex (Approximately 20 miles East of Missoula, MT via MT-200 E)
- Part II: (2/24 & 2/25) Meets each morning at the Lolo Pass Visitor Center, proceeds to field component
Registration Cost: $400
This Avalanche Level 1 Course has been developed specifically for snowmobilers and snow bike riders and is designed to provide a solid foundation in avalanche safety and rescue skills. This course emphasizes riding time and teaches the fundamental aspects involved in decision making and the risk management process with respect to backcountry snowmobiling, snow biking, and avalanche safety. Topics covered include preparation, planning, and execution of a backcountry ride, avalanche terrain identification, hazard mitigation; as well as group management and avalanche rescue techniques.
We will travel in the backcountry, in and around avalanche terrain. Snowmobiles and snow bikes will be used in class to access terrain. Vehicles not provided. Must be able to ride off trail in powder and varied snow conditions in mountainous terrain. Requires intermediate backcountry snowmobile and snow bike skills.
- Montana snowmobile registration sticker required in class.
- Machines are not provided (Snowmobile, Snow Bike)
Recommended Student Reading:
- Snow Sense, Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler
- Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, Bruce Tremper
- Avalanche Essentials, Bruce Tremper