2 part classroom component + 2-day field component
DATE | LOCATION:
Classroom Component | Tuesday 2.02.21 & Thursday 2.04.21 | WEBCAST 6pm-10pm | 8 hours Total
Field Component| Saturday 2.06.21 & Sunday 2.07.21 | Rattlesnake Wilderness 8am-4pm | 16 Hours Total
WOMEN’S LEVEL 1
This level 1 course is designed for current and aspiring female backcountry travelers. This course focuses on developing a solid foundation in avalanche knowledge and backcountry travel skills. Following the American Avalanche Association (A3) guidelines, instructors cover systematic approaches for sorting and prioritizing information in the complex environment of decision-making in the backcountry. Forty percent of the course is classroom-based and the other sixty percent is field-based. Participants will travel in the backcountry, in and around avalanche terrain.
This course focuses on the following:
- Basic avalanche terminology
- Recognizing avalanche terrain
- Travel procedures in avalanche terrain
- Formation of the mountain snowpack
- How weather changes the snowpack
- Human factors and how they can influence decision-making
- Interpreting the avalanche forecast and advisory
- Tour planning
- Avalanche transceiver use and rescue skills
- Field observations of terrain, snowpack, and weather
- Use and interpretation of stability tests
- Prioritizing information, working as a team, and minimizing possible human factor traps
- Next steps
- All Workbooks and Instruction
- Lift Tickets if Accessing the Backcountry from a Ski Area
Participants must Provide:
- Their own Backcountry Skiing or Splitboarding equipment
- Avalanche Beacon, Shovel, Probe
- Transportation to the course location
- Their own food and water on field days
COVID 19 ADAPTATIONS
Classroom: All classroom session presentations will be provided over Zoom or Crowdcast. You will be provided login information after registering.
STANDARD POLICY – : If notice of cancellation is received within 30 days of the course we will offer a full refund. If notice is received 14-30 days before the course we will offer a 50% refund of course costs. If notice of cancellation is received within 14 days of the course no refund can be given.
COVID 19 ADAPTION – Course Participants will receive a $50 paypal tuition credit if they can document that they have purchased a Allianz Travel Insurance Policy. When we priced several of these policies that cover late stage cancellations, we found that trip insurance could be purchased for close to amount of money we will refund you from your tuition payment. Different participant ages, travel itineraries, & coverage choices will affect the policy cost. If you feel sick we want you stay home, but we understand that the tuition cost can complicate that decision. Please feel free to explore this option more here.
If Missoula Avalanche cancels the course for any reason, a full refund in the amount of your course tuition will be issued. Missoula Avalanche is not responsible for any additional costs incurred, such as airline tickets, hotel rooms, equipment, medical expenses, etc.
This course is offered in partnership with the University of Montana Outdoor Program.
Registration information can be found here: https://register.campusrec.umt.edu/Program/GetProgramDetails?courseId=a1a22646-ee5d-49ba-a376-35bfb094110d&semesterId=6e774968-f31e-40c3-802e-6b8c0e372cbc